dumb newbie question about file-name completion

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Sun May 25 14:40:20 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 02:31:16PM -0700 or thereabouts, Adam seemed to write:
> Here's a dumb newbie question...
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.0 on my PC and, while I'm
> extremely happy about this and have already spent many
> hours playing around, I've hit an annoying snag with
> the tab key file-name completion. Everything works
> just fine when I'm logged in as root, but when I try
> to use any of my other accounts I can't use this
> feature (I don't even get the [BEEP]). What am I doing
> wrong? Is it possible that my keyboard configuration
> is not carried over to the user accounts I set up?
> Obviously I don't want to go stomping around as root
> when I don't really know what I'm doing, but this has
> made entering commands a bit cumbersome and I'd like
> to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Root's shell is tcsh. It has filename completion.
User's default shell is /bin/sh - without filename
completion.
To fix:
user$ env EDITOR=ee VISUAL=ee chsh

Change the line with `Shell: /bin/sh' to read `Shell: /bin/tcsh'.
Save and exit, and log out.
Now log back in, and you should have filename completion.

-- Josh