Lost XFree86-4

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat May 24 13:49:26 PDT 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 12:20 pm, Bob Perry wrote:
> Thanks much for the quick response.  I found two archived messages that
> might apply.  The first referenced my original upgrade problem suggesting
> that I "pkg_delete -f" all XFree packages found with "pkg_info | grep
> XFree".  Then install the XFree86-4-Server.  I assume all of the other
> packages follow.  The second message concerned upgrading from XFree86 3.x
> to XFree86 4.x.  Here, the recommendation was to remove /usr/X11R6 entirely
> then install XFree86 4.x.
>
> The overall message seems to suggest removing anything having to do with
> X11R6 and reinstall from the beginning..

When I went from 3.3.6 to 4.x, I didn't have to do that; however, it appeared
the radical solution was faster. You had to start at something like Imake and
go up or down depending on how you view the port system. I alway make a
package when I build a port and reinstalling from ../All wouldn't be a
problem because the 4.x tarballs would still be there.

The big problem on the upgrade was reconfiging XF86Config.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA