Lost XFree86-4

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sat May 24 19:40:21 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Stewart" <kstewart at owt.com>
To: "Bob Perry" <rperry4 at earthlink.net>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2003 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: Lost XFree86-4

> On Saturday 24 May 2003 12:20 pm, Bob Perry wrote:
> > Thanks much for the quick response.  I found two archived messages that
> > might apply.  The first referenced my original upgrade problem
suggesting
> > that I "pkg_delete -f" all XFree packages found with "pkg_info | grep
> > XFree".  Then install the XFree86-4-Server.  I assume all of the other
> > packages follow.  The second message concerned upgrading from XFree86
3.x
> > to XFree86 4.x.  Here, the recommendation was to remove /usr/X11R6
entirely
> > then install XFree86 4.x.
> >
> > The overall message seems to suggest removing anything having to do with
> > X11R6 and reinstall from the beginning..
>
> When I went from 3.3.6 to 4.x, I didn't have to do that; however, it
appeared
> the radical solution was faster. You had to start at something like Imake
and
> go up or down depending on how you view the port system. I alway make a
> package when I build a port and reinstalling from ../All wouldn't be a
> problem because the 4.x tarballs would still be there.
>
> The big problem on the upgrade was reconfiging XF86Config.

I deinstalled my XFree86 packages and was about to remove my /usr/X11R6
files when I opened your last note.  It reminded me that I had forgotten to
deinstall and rebuild the imake package earlier.  When I rebuilt the imake
file, I was able to install the other XFree86 packages without encountering
any problems with XFree86-libraries.  Also kept my /usr/X11R6 files in tact.

No need to reconfigure XF86Config either.

Thanks much for your help.

Bob