How can I mount a cdrom .bin file?\

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 14 20:44:42 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, 14 May 2003 at 22:54:41 -0400, Laszlo Vagner wrote:
> Joshua Oreman wrote:

>>> File name extensions are meaningless in UNIX.  You can call them
>>> anything you want.  As somebody else observed, it might be a
>>> proprietary format, in which case you're out of luck.  But don't
>>> assume anything based on the name.  file(1) is your friend some of the
>>> time, but it doesn't recognize ISO images.
>>
>> Just not true. It does recognize ISOs.  It worked fine for me, as
>> well as the person I was helping :-)

Hmm, seems that I have an old version of the magic file on the machine
I tried it on:

/src/FreeBSD/isos/4.6-mini.iso: ASCII text, with no line terminators

On the other machine, I get:

/src/FreeBSD/isos/4.6-mini.iso: ISO 9660 CD-ROM filesystem data

> That was a great little command! worked perfect!  I been messing
> with freebsd since 2.2.2 circa 1996 and still it amazes me, now if i
> could only remember all these commands.

file(1) has been around for ever.  From the man page:

HISTORY
     There has been a file command in every UNIX since at least Research Ver-
     sion 4 (man page dated November, 1973).

> That should be a good seller... a cheat sheet for freebsd with all
> the good commands listed but leave out the "ls" and more common
> commands.

There have been several such attempts.  The real question is where you
should stop.  Take a look at O'Reilly's "UNIX Power Tools" for a good
example of a cheat "sheet".

Greg