How can I mount a cdrom .bin file?

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Wed May 14 20:52:54 PDT 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Wednesday, 14 May 2003 at 21:17:22 +0000, How Can ThisBe wrote:
> > Hello. I have a number of .bin CDROM images and I was wondering how I
> > can mount them? I know how to mount .iso CDROM images but .bin is new
> > to me :]
>
> File name extensions are meaningless in UNIX.  You can call them
> anything you want.  As somebody else observed, it might be a
> proprietary format, in which case you're out of luck.  But don't
> assume anything based on the name.  file(1) is your friend some of the
> time, but it doesn't recognize ISO images.
>
> Greg
> --

I was helping somebody in my office with that kind of
Windows XP critters.

.bin & .cue files can be read by daemontools [www.daemontools.org] for
windows.  These guys took BSD cd9660 mounting programs and adapt them
for windows.  I don't remember, but I believe they have
legal problems for this.

You can "mount" that image in a virtual CD and then, with a burner program
you can build the iso image, just as "mdconfig -a -t vnode..." does.

Now, in FreeBSD, /usr/ports/sysutils/bchunk that help you
to build the iso image:

bchunk is a Unix/C rewrite of the fine BinChunker software for some
non-Unix systems.

===== pkg-descr=========
binchunker converts a CD image in a ".bin / .cue" format
(sometimes ".raw / .cue") to a set of .iso and .cdr tracks. The
bin/cue format is used by some non-Unix cd-writing software, but
is not supported on most other cd-writing programs.

The .iso track contains an ISO file system, which can be mounted
through a vn device on FreeBSD systems, or written on a CD-R
using cdrecord. The .cdr tracks are in the native CD audio format. (pcm)
They can be either written on a CD-R using cdrecord -audio, or
converted to WAV (or any other sound format for that matter)
using sox.

hope it helps.

	Eduardo.

--