Best X configurator for laptops?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 30 16:13:27 PST 2003

On Sunday, 30 March 2003 at  8:44:34 -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 8:29 AM -0800 3/30/03, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 07:59:59AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>> Hi again. I have a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop, now running 4.7.
>>> xf86cfg and xf86config both give (different) unusable results for my
>>> system. Which of the other X configurators in the ports collection
>>> seem to do a good job on laptops, if any?
>>
>> You need to be more specific about the problems you are encountering.
>
> I was trying to avoid that because it doesn't seem like this is a
> good place to debug particular XWindows problems.
>
> But, since you asked, the screen comes up blank. There are no
> XWindows errors, just a blank screen.

Can you exit the screen again with ctrl-alt-backspace?

There were some problems with certain chip sets a while back.  When I
got my Inspiron 7500, I had the same problem (well, as far as you
describe it).  They needed to update XFree86 to fix it.  You might
find it a good idea to install the latest version of XFree86 from the
Ports Collection.

> Thus, my quest for a better configuration...

You're jumping to conclusions that it's the configurator.

Greg