Best X configurator for laptops?

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Sun Mar 30 16:40:51 PST 2003

At 9:43 AM +0930 3/31/03, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>  > Thus, my quest for a better configuration...
>
>You're jumping to conclusions that it's the configurator.

Turns out I wasn't. None of the configuration programs got me
anywhere close. They either got the monitor wrong, the card wrong,
the screen wrong, or a combination.

I ended up cobbling it together from some advice for Linux, some
other snippets and so on. In case anyone cares, the relevant hard
parts of the XF86Config for (my/the) Inspiron 3500 are:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	HorizSync    31.5-48.5
	VertRefresh  60