kernel panics, lots of them

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Mar 27 11:12:59 PST 2003

jaime at snowmoon.com wrote:
[ ... ]
 >> There is memtest and cpuburn in the ports; try running those and see
>> whether you can get the system to crash.
>
> 	Just to verify before I run these programs in the middle of the
> work day:  The purpose of these programs is to try to crash the system,
> right?  :)

You should be prepared for the system to crash, yes.  :-)

Of course, the point of these tests is that your hardware _should_ be
able to run them for days or weeks without any problems with system
stability.  But if the system cooling/memory timing/etc is marginal,
these will probably cause the system to panic within a few hours, which
helps confirm where the problem lies...

-Chuck