Attempting to 'make buildworld' (Makefile problem)

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Mar 26 12:33:51 PST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:24:30PM +1100, Adam Carmichael wrote:
> Now when I run make buildworld I get the following:
>
> make buildworld
> Makefile:137: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src.

You are running GNU make instead of BSD make. GNU make is installed as 'gmake'
on BSD systems because there are fundamental differences in the syntax between
the two.

Try running '/usr/bin/make buildworld'. If that still fails your installation
of BSD make is broken. Do the following to repair your make:

# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make
# cc -o make -I . *.c lst.lib/*.c
# install -m 755 make /usr/bin/make

If /usr/bin/make works on the other hand, see if there are aliases setup that
alias 'gmake' as 'make', and remove those.

HTH,

--Stijn

--
"Diane, 2:15 in the afternoon, November 14. Entering town of Twin Peaks.
 Five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state