Attempting to 'make buildworld' (Makefile problem)

Adam Carmichael carneeki at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:24:31 PST 2003

### Apologies in advance if you saw this on FreeBSD-Questions - but I
haven't had any responses or been able to find it in the archives. ###

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to CVS, and I've only upgraded FreeBSD a few times via CVS, but each
time without many hiccups (well no problems this far into the piece).

But I have to upgrade a machine running FreeBSD 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10 #5 - and I
have a feeling that the last person to upgrade it may have left something
out, or failled to do something. Needless to say, I upgraded an exact same
clone of the box (hardware) from FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE, and it worked without
a hitch.

Now when I run make buildworld I get the following:

make buildworld
Makefile:137: *** missing separator.  Stop.
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src.

The same goes for "make upgrade_checks" and "make clean" (and having almost
no usable c experience, I opened the Makefile in vi, and went to line 137,
but couldn't understand it), but I decided to compare that Makefile with the
Makefile on the computer world did build (and install) successfully on -
there was no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try? How would I find out if the make
utility is broken because other applications (like PHP and Apache) compile
just fine.

Regards,

Adam
----