What does this mean

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 24 03:32:26 PDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:19, Frank wrote:
> I have formatted my hard disk using the floppy that came with it.  It is
> now a 32bit FAT.  I ran FIPS and everything seemed to go OK except that I
> received a message at the end of FIPS that said it could not partition
> FAT12, but I have no idea where it is getting the FAT12 from.

If you have a hard disk without any pre-existing operating systems and
want to install FreeBSD why are messing with FIPS or FAT system.
Just insert the installation CD and follow directions.

If your trying to install some other system then you're in the wrong place.

> Please note that FIPS reported OK after checking FAT while running.
>
> The message I get from the FIPS at the end of everything is that the
> partition has been created and that I should run scandisk on the smaller
> partition.  Then beneath this it says:
>
> Memory allocation error
> could not load command system halted.
>

> The exact msg from trying to install from the image CD I created is:

What sort of image? Some operating system? Or something else?
If it is not an operating system on what and how are you trying to install it?

> 'Building the boot loader arguments
> read error: 0x01
> could not find primary volume descriptor'

Unlikely anyone can help without more informatiom.
Best of luck,

Malcolm Kay