Totally newbie - install problems

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at netscape.net
Thu Jun 19 14:49:27 PDT 2003

    Hi All!

 I'm totally new to FreeBSD. I used Linux before but I decided to try
 FreeBSD. I just downloaded FreeBSD 4.8 from a public ftp site and
 installed a brand new system with X and full development tools. I have
 some questions.

 I read about the differences between Linux and FreeBSD. I like the idea
 that there is only one official FreeBSD. I'm going to develop cross platform,
 multi tiered applications using Python and it is nice to have a free  and
 compact system  which I can offer to my clients. But I need other packages
 like "wxPython", "PyCrypto" and others for my work. I know I can download
 the source code and compile them. I could also find binaries but the dependency
 tree is endless (and I had version problems too). I read the comparison where
 someone said FreeBSD is even better than Debian in this matter. This was one
 reason why I decided to use FreeBSD. I know the solution is out there but I don't
 know where it is.  I'm looking for the FreeBSD equivalent of apt-get in Debian.
 Probably I will need to setup several client computers in the end, so an
 automated installation would be the best (download and install required
 packages/ports for the selected package/port automatically).
 Can you help me?

 Sorry for the long e-mail.
 Thanks in advance.

  Laci 1.0