X TrueType font spacing

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 11 09:14:57 PDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:01, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
> Malcolm Kay wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:47, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
[...]
> > This knocks a big hole in my argument -- Courier is a fixed width font.
>
> Oh. It is? Ok...
>
> > I have in the past installed true-type fonts from windows and never
> > noticed any problems except with the strange ones (windings and the like)
> > for which the encodings got lost somewhere along the way. In those days
> > that required a third party true-type font server -- it was not supplied
> > with XFree.
> >
> > But now-a-days I find I have a good range of fonts some of which I
> > consider make the Microsoft true-types look rather mediocre. So to reduce
> > confusion I've given up on the Microsoft ones. I find the Ghostscript
> > fonts quite useful, and in any case I have them on the system to support
> > ghostscript and printing -- so one might as well connect them up to X.
>
> Are any of these fonts free? Point me to them and I'll try them out.
> Courier New (for normal text) and Andale Mono (for code) are the best fonts
> I've found so far. If there are better fonts out there, then I'll give 'em
> a try.

If you have the gnu distribution of ghostscript installed (which is free) then
you prbably already have them in /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts complete
with a valid fonts.dir file. Just add it to your X windows list.

As for quality -- a lot is personal preference but also affected by screen
resolution in terms of pixels per inch (120 dpi here) and the actual
resolving capability of the monitor. So I don't want to argue which is best
for you.

I seem to recall that it is also possible to install Knut's computer modern
fonts from the TeX package, and that these are pretty good.

Malcolm