X TrueType font spacing

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Jun 11 08:36:02 PDT 2003

Malcolm Kay wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:47, Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
>> Malcolm Kay wrote:

[...]

>> > This looks like the effect I get if I (wrongly) use a proportional font
>> > in an application that is designed to use a fixed width font -- the
>> > effect is not restricted to TTF.
>>
>> Well, I can open a Konqueror window using the Luxi Sans TTF and
>> everything looks great (Luxi Sans is proportional, I think), but when I
>> switch to Courier New, some of the text in Konq is screwed up in the way
>> I explain above.
>>

> This knocks a big hole in my argument -- Courier is a fixed width font.

Oh. It is? Ok...

> I have in the passed installed true-type fonts from windows and never
> noticed any problems except with the strange ones (windings and the like)
> for which the encodings got lost somewhere along the way. In those days
> that required a third party true-type font server -- it was not supplied
> with XFree.
>
> But now-a-days I find I have a good range of fonts some of which I
> consider make the Microsoft true-types look rather mediocre. So to reduce
> confusion I've given up on the Microsoft ones. I find the Ghostscript
> fonts quite useful, and in any case I have them on the system to support
> ghostscript and printing -- so one might as well connect them up to X.

Are any of these fonts free? Point me to them and I'll try them out. Courier
New (for normal text) and Andale Mono (for code) are the best fonts I've
found so far. If there are better fonts out there, then I'll give 'em a
try.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,