X TrueType font spacing

parv parv_fm at emailgroups.net
Wed Jun 11 13:54:20 PDT 2003

in message <bc7a9p$jkm$1 at main.gmane.org>,
wrote Jesse D. Guardiani thusly...

> parv wrote:
>
> > in message <bc5h87$nb8$1 at main.gmane.org>, wrote Jesse D. Guardiani
> > thusly...
> >>
> >> EVERY TIME, the WXP fonts will display fine in MOST KDE
> >> applications, but occassionally (like in Konqueror) the horizontal
> >> spacing will be all messed up.
> >>
> >> Basically, every line of text will look like this:
> >>
> >> T   H   I   S    I  S   A   G  O  O  D   E  X  A  M  P  L  E
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what causes that? And how to fix it?!?
> >
> > Looks like something somewhere is defining "charwidth" (mention in
> > fvwm(1) regarding use of TTF in relation to xft).
>
> I'm not running fvwm or xft. Straight X server (4.3.0) and KDE
> (3.1.x).

That was not my point.  My point was something somewhere might be
specifying "charwidth" option for TTF for one font which may not be
suitable for another.

And as to "xft", that was a reference to Xft support, which
i enabled for X in /etc/X11/XF86Config as...

  Section "Module"
    Load  "freetype"
  EndSection

But as someone else said, problem might be somewhere else.

  - Parv

--
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
ISO employment.  Details...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/