USB keyboard and KVM

Ian Dowse iedowse at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 10 18:10:17 PDT 2003

In message <B51CC566-9B87-11D7-87DF-003065D644E8 at sprynet.com>, Scott Saunders w
rites:
>> device "Keyboard"
>> 	devname "ukbd0"
>> 	attach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0"
>
>I added this and tried it with and without the kbdcontrol line in
>/etc/rc.i386. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make any difference. It
>certainly looks to my inexperienced eyes like it should.
>
>I can SSH in (and maybe this will be the permanent solution). If I run
>kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0 while it's 'locked up' I get:
>kbdcontrol: cannot open /dev/kbd0: Device busy
>
>So maybe it didn't close down the connection to the keyboard? If that's
>anything like how it actually works.
>
>I tried plugging the keyboard directly into the machine (not through
>the KVM) while it was 'locked up', but that had no effect either.
>
>Are you using a set up like this, Ian?

No, I've only used a setup that had both PS/2 and USB keyboards.
Just reading the kbdcontrol man page, the other thing you could try
is the -K option to detach the keyboard. e.g:

device "Keyboard"
 	devname "ukbd0"
 	attach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0"
 	detach "kbdcontrol -K < /dev/ttyv0"

(or experiment with kbdcontrol -K from ssh)

BTW, what are the last few lines of `dmesg' after the keyboard stops
working?

Ian