USB keyboard and KVM

Scott Saunders scrotch at sprynet.com
Tue Jun 10 14:08:41 PDT 2003

Thank you for your reply.
But it's still not working.
More below...

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 02:47  PM, Ian Dowse wrote:

> In message <49AD623F-9B60-11D7-B332-003065D644E8 at sprynet.com>, Scott
> Saunders w
> rites
>> I added:
>> kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null
>> to the end of /etc/rc.i386 based on the FAQ.
>
> The above command will only run once when the machine boots, so you
> need to have something that repeats this when the keyboard is
> (effectively) plugged back in after being removed. Try adding the
> following lines near the end of /etc/usbd.conf instead:
>
> device "Keyboard"
> 	devname "ukbd0"
> 	attach "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0"

I added this and tried it with and without the kbdcontrol line in
/etc/rc.i386. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make any difference. It
certainly looks to my inexperienced eyes like it should.

I can SSH in (and maybe this will be the permanent solution). If I run
kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0 while it's 'locked up' I get:
kbdcontrol: cannot open /dev/kbd0: Device busy

So maybe it didn't close down the connection to the keyboard? If that's
anything like how it actually works.

I tried plugging the keyboard directly into the machine (not through
the KVM) while it was 'locked up', but that had no effect either.

Are you using a set up like this, Ian?

Thanks again,
Scott Saunders