Reliable USB NIC?

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon Jun 9 12:31:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 12:24:24PM -0400, J. Seth Henry wrote:
> I have had very good luck with the Linksys USB100TX adapters. I have four
> of them supporting small X terminals, and they have turned out to be more
> reliable than the terminals (they crash for reasons unrelated to their
> network connections). They also have decent performance for a USB 1.x
> device.

I'm glad you said this, since I just picked one of these up on ebay.  I'd
managed to borrow a Belkin unit that also uses the aue driver, so the
Linksys seemed like a reasonable bet, especially at under 10 pounds :-)

> If your system has support for USB 2.0, Linksys does make a USB 2.0
> version of the adapter, but I don't have any experience with them.

It will have USB 2.0 (VIA EPIA-M Mini-ITX board), but I don't think -STABLE
has any 2.0 support yet, so it will be running in USB 1.1 compatibility
mode for now.  Not that driving my 512kbps cable connection will be
particularly taxing for it in either mode...

Thanks for the info,

	Scott