/dev/tty keeps changing permissions..?

Thomas Park tpark at drivespeed.com
Mon Jun 9 09:44:19 PDT 2003

Interesting.  I have access to several FreeBSD 4.6 STABLE boxes, and
/dev/tty on each of them looks thusly:

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    1,   0 Jun  8 15:26 /dev/tty
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    1,   0 May 31 23:06 /dev/tty

etc. - all owned by root:wheel and all mode 0666.

The only system that has user level ownership / permissions is the BSD
5.0 box.

> So, something else would be causing your ssh permissions.
> We'd need more
> details to try and track that down.

I'm pretty sure the ssh problem is with /dev/tty - I've scoured quite a
few message boards and newsgroups looking for a solution to the SSH
problem.  The symptom:a user who doesn't currently own /dev/tty attempts
to open an outbound SSH session and gets a permission denied error with
an error message along the lines of "Host key verification failed."  SCP
likewise doesn't work.

The fix suggested on the various newsgroups was to chmod 666 /dev/tty -
pretty much in line with the permissions that I have on the 4.6 boxen.

If you could suggest other culprit locations to try looking in, I would
very much appreciate it.

thanks!
thomas