cvsup collection question

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Jun 3 13:44:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:57:47AM +0100, Tom Stockton wrote:
> Apologies for stupidity, I've read the documentation a million times and
> I've got a headache.
>
> I've installed 4.7 release from an ftp server, I want to get the latest
> ports collection to match this release.  It looks like I want to specify
> 'ports-all' in my cvsup file, however a note in the documentation says that

The ports that fit almost perfectly is included at the install. Updating
it with cvsup almost certainly increase the number of non working ports
a bit.

> "The ports tree does not have any tag associated with it, it is always
> CURRENT."
>
> I dont like the look of this...I'd like to specify the tag RELENG_4_7 but
> this note seems to make that redundant ?

If you like a port system a little more up to date and with a little
more efford of making it work you souldn't use cvsup. You could
download the ports that are included with the release 4.8. This can be
downloaded without downloading FreeBSD 4.8. Goto
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD then go to releases and look for,
i don't know the exact location, something like ports-4.8.tgz

> Also what is the src-all collection ?  How does it differ from ports-all ?

src-all gets you the freebsd sources. Thease do come in a stable versions.
Aka -> The FreeBSD OS.

ports-all gets you the ports source. Aka the extra application you can
install.

doc-all gets you the documentation.