secure pop server

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Tue Jun 3 13:44:08 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 02:52:06PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > yeah lets get some details in there.  the users of this application are
> > windows outlook users wanting to download their email while they travel - so I
> > think my options are to go for mbox support, no?
>
> That is unrelated. This is a matter of choice, whether your MDA does
> mbox or maildir (are all the email in INBOX kept in one single file -
> /var/mail/username of in a directory /var/mail/username/filename)

Both mbox and maildir have there strengts and weekness.

mbox is good at saving space, but bad at removing *one* mail at a time.
maildir is bat at saving space but good at removing *one* mail at a time.

If you expect your user to remove mail one by one then go with maildir,
otherwise go with mbox. What is more inportaint perfomance or saving
space? (If you user though away there mail after recieving it all,
then maildir sould decrease you performance. Since it hase to remove
a large number of files, instead of just one.)

Alex