Problems with sio3 on 5.1 machine

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Aug 27 08:07:36 PDT 2003

I have an old 2400 baud ISA modem that I use to dial out to my paging
company's TAP server.  The modem worked corrected under FreeBSD 4.8 with
this entry in my kernel configuration:

    device          sio3    at isa? port IO_COM4 irq 9

I've since installed 5.1 on that machine but I'm having trouble getting the
modem to work.  I get this in my dmesg:

    sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
    sio3: port may not be enabled

This is the relevant clause from my /boot/device.hints:

    hint.sio.3.at="isa"
    # hint.sio.3.disabled="1"
    hint.sio.3.port="0x2E8"
    hint.sio.3.irq="9"

I'm still growing accustomed to 5.x's new configuration setup so I may very
well be overlooking something obvious.  What can I do to re-enable my old
modem?
--
Kirk Strauser