enable root login to remote system (was - failed root login with shared ssh key)

Dave [Hawk-Systems] dave at hawk-systems.com
Wed Aug 27 08:12:57 PDT 2003

Further test, which I missed earlier for some unknown reason, was to create an
ssh key for a non-root user, copy to the target server, and try a key
authenticated login with the non-root user...  worked perfectly.

As such, the problem does not appear to be with the ssh key login, but with the
fact that it is a root login.  I am focusing my efforts there.  Any idea as to
why the server would not allow root login given that we have already checked
"PermitRootLogin yes" for the sshd_config.  Is there another location or entry
which would be preventing root logins?

Dave