/dev/dsp inaccessible

Tiarnan O'Corrain ocorrain at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 02:33:55 PDT 2003

--- epilogue at attcanada.ca wrote:
> unfortunately, i don't have an *.raw files to try so i simply tried
> to cat somefile.wav > /dev/dsp  (and also to /dev/audio)
> both produce sound a screeching sound reminiscent of japanese noise
> bands   :)

That's good sign! It shows the device is configured. Do any of
the command-line tools work... mpg123 &c? Try setting the
sound device explicitly (eg mpg123 -a /dev/dsp foo.mp3). Try
it also as root.

> cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> at I/O port 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/0r/4v
> channels duplex)

~(0)% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> at io 0x3000 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels
duplex)

There was a post yesterday explaining this. Apparently the driver
doesn't support recording (yet).

It seems to me that the driver is working, and that your problems
are somewhere higher in the stack.

Tiarnan