/dev/dsp inaccessible

epilogue at attcanada.ca epilogue at attcanada.ca
Wed Aug 20 09:57:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
"Tiarnan O'Corrain" <ocorrain at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- epilogue at attcanada.ca wrote:
> > unfortunately, i don't have an *.raw files to try so i simply tried
> > to cat somefile.wav > /dev/dsp  (and also to /dev/audio)
> > both produce sound a screeching sound reminiscent of japanese noise
> > bands   :)
>
> That's good sign! It shows the device is configured. Do any of
> the command-line tools work... mpg123 &c? Try setting the
> sound device explicitly (eg mpg123 -a /dev/dsp foo.mp3). Try
> it also as root.

IT WORKS!!!     (...and as joe-user.  no need for root.    :)

> > cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> > pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> at I/O port 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/0r/4v
> > channels duplex)
>
> ~(0)% cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> at io 0x3000 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels
> duplex)
>
> There was a post yesterday explaining this. Apparently the driver
> doesn't support recording (yet).

missed that one.  will follow issue closely.  thanks for the tip.

> It seems to me that the driver is working, and that your problems
> are somewhere higher in the stack.

it is such a relief to know that /dev/dsp is not broken.  i now just need to find out
exactly what is preventing these other programs from accessing it.

i suppose that the programs i am trying to use probably only require recompiling,
but perhaps with different options...    i'll have a look.

thanks again, T.