frustrating *dumb* problem getting php to work under apache

Markie markie at notwentytwo.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 14:00:36 PDT 2003

Hi,

As it sounds like you've done everything alright, could I suggest you try
creating a page, for now index.php and inside putting the following

<?php
echo "Hello World";
?>

Fire up your nearest browser, point it to index.php. Does it display "Hello
World" or do you see the raw code as you described before. If you're a
programmer, know some PHP or have a proper pre-written script that you're
trying to get to run here, please forgive me, the thought just occured that
you might be thinking if the file extension is .php then it will be executed
(even without the <?php ?>) which isn't the case.

You'll want to do this with

LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
AddModule mod_php4.c
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

In the apache configuration...

Markie