Boot Loaders

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 11 17:03:56 PDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:38:56 -0400, John McDonnell
<gorgarath at redwhitearmy.com> wrote:

> From reading the handbook (well, skimming it for referances anyway) and
> reading various posts on the mailing list, I believe I already know the
> answer, but just want to clarify it. FreeBSD doesn't need a specialized
> loader like Linux does. (i.e. Linux requires Lilo or now GRUB) And if you
> really wanted to (though I don't know why you would) you can use XP's
> "boot
> loader" to load FreeBSD. If I'm correct, then I'd also be able to use
> something like XOSL, ( [ www.xosl.org ] though it seems to no longer be
> updated at all as far as I can tell. Neither there or at sourceforge. [
> xosl.sourceforge.net ] ) Ranish Partition Manager, [ www.ranish.com/part/
> ]
> or any other boot loader available without haveing to do anything
> specific
> to boot FreeBSD (other than tell it the correct partition to boot from of
> course).
>
> If there are any other steps I'd have to take, please let me know.
>
> Sincerely,
> John McDonnell

I was under the impression that Ranish PM was only a partition manager
(available as part of XOSL as well as standalone?) rather than a
bootloader.  For managing and imaging partitions, have a look at BootItNG
easier to use than Ranish.  For a bootloader, you can certainly use XOSL;
you may want to have a look at GAG <URL: http://gag.sourceforge.net/>, or
you can install Grub from ports - /usr/ports/sysutils/grub.

Jud