Bash / Promise Controller

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Aug 4 06:58:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:50, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:
> I am new to Freebsd and have some questions concerning the settings of the
> bash shell under FreeBSD and the Kernel Configuration.
>
> 1. I have been using the bash under linux for years and I would like to
> configure in such a way under freebsd that it resembles my linux-settings
> as close as possible. I have already installed the bash as default shell,
> but I am stilg some things. I wolike ike to have colored ls-output and in

Thsi is not a property of bash but is an option to ls.
if you alias ls -G to ls in .bashrc then you'll get colours assuming your
terminal admits to being prepared to display them. If your using xterm the
normal termcap entry doesn't admit to colour so they won't appera unless you
set the TERM environment variable to xterm-color.

> jed nothing seems to be working. I cant acess the Menu with Alt+Key,

I don't know anything about jed -- answer may be in the jed iniitialization
but more likely in the way xterm delivers these key combinations to it.
This can probably be adjusted in the xterm resource (or .Xdefaults)

> Backspace does not work and I cant scroll down with page up /down. I also

Again seems to be key translations and the code you expect from the backspace
key -- see also xmodmap(1)

Does jed read the key definitions from termcap?

> would like to be able to browse for example ls output with
> Shift-Page-Up/Down. How can I achive this ? I have just noticed another

By default these actions are linked to the wheel in a wheel mouse. But you can
reset these by connecting the xterm actions scroll-foward and scroll-reverse
to your chosen key combinations in the xterm resource or .Xdefaults

> weird phenomen : When I use jed via ssh arrow key down scrolls down until
> jed itselfs vanished in the upper part of the screen.
>

> 2.
> I am currently creating a custom kernel config. ( I have read the manual in
> the handbook). But I still have some questions : What is with the modules ?
> Are options I comment out in the kernel automatically compiled as modules ?
> And does the GENERIC-File include all the possible kernel options ? I am a
> bit confused because I have not found an option for my Promise 133TX2.
> The Standard-Kernel recognizes it just fine. I also did not find even
> limited choices for sound card support.
>
> Thanks in Advance

Malcolm Kay