FreeBSD-chkrootkit-concerns

email tony at armstrong.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 04:09:17 PDT 2003

hello,
   I am new to BSD but have been using linux for quite some time and never
come across this before on a system i have used.

I have a question which i posted on a BSD forum concerning chkrootkit
 and FreeBSD release 5.0.
I installed FreeBSD and 2 days later when i ran chkrootkit i had the
 following come up as being infected chfn, chsh, date,ls and ps.

The forum admin said that this had already been noted and pointed me to
here,
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=chkrootkit&max=25&sort=score&index=recent&source=freebsd-questions

Having looked through the posts i can see that there has been an issue
regarding FreeBSD and chkrootkit, however i thought i would have a look at
'date' in /bin to be on the safe side. When i did 'strings date' i had the following
which makes me think that the system is hosed.

This is only extracts from the content i found in 'date' (it goes on for a few
pages), and some of the other commands i checked have the same.

fatal flex scanner internal error--no action found
 fatal flex scanner internal error--end of buffer missed
 input buffer overflow, can't enlarge buffer because scanner uses
 REJECT
 out of dynamic memory in yy_create_buffer()
 out of dynamic memory in yy_scan_buffer()
 out of dynamic memory in yy_scan_bytes()
 input in flex scanner failed
 bad buffer in yy_scan_bytes()
 %s line %d: %s at '%s'
 0123456789
 0123456789abcdef
 0123456789ABCDEF
 %s:
 Unknown error:
 %u.%u.%u.%u
 /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:
 0123456789abcdef
 (null)

RPC: Success
 RPC: Can't encode arguments
 RPC: Can't decode result
 RPC: Unable to send
 RPC: Unable to receive
 RPC: Timed out
 RPC: Authentication error
 RPC: Program unavailable
 RPC: Program/version mismatch
 RPC: Procedure unavailable
 RPC: Remote system error
 RPC: Unknown host
 RPC: Port mapper failure
 RPC: Program not registered
 RPC: Unknown protocol
 RPC: (unknown error code)

/var/run/rpcbind.sock
 127.0.0.1
 gethostbyname
 gethostbyaddr
 gethostby*.gethostanswer: asked for "%s", got "%s"
 gethostby*.gethostanswer: asked for "%s %s %s", got type "%s"
 Impossible condition (type=%d)
 static buffer is too small (%d)
 size (%d) too big
 Too many addresses (%d)
 res_search failed (%d)

master.passwd.byname
 passwd.adjunct.byname
 passwd-%u
 passwd
 master.passwd.byuid
 getpwcompat
 passwd_compat
 getpwent
 getpwnam
 getpwuid
 /etc/spwd.db
 /etc/pwd.db

Have i been hosed or am i just overanalyzing?
I would rather be over cautious that under cautious.

	Tony.

--
NeoMail .
http://neomail.sourceforge.net