Getting any jdk to work with latest freeBSDisimpossible?

Joachim Dagerot freebsd at dagerot.nu
Sat Apr 12 21:54:12 PDT 2003

> > > This means that your FreeBSD *isnt'* the latest. You need to
upgrade
> > > to 4.8-RELEASE. Without various changes made to the system
> > libraries,
> > > you won't be able to run JDK1.4 correctly.
> > > --
> > > Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>
> >

> > In that case freeBSD has even more problems, I download floppy
images
> > from a path including RELEASE-5 and then made the whole
installation
> > from the net.
>
> 5-RELEASE is a not a production-system release, as it states at:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/early-adopter.html
>
> You should stick with 4.8-RELEASE, which is a "supported" release.

Then I still wonder why the the FreeBSD handbook is linking me to the
R5 floppies.
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre
.html).

I must admit that except from this JDK issue I have found freeBSD
extremely userfriendly and straight forward compared to debian,
redhat, slackware and a bunch of small obscure linux dists I've tried.