cvs source questions

Jim Mock mij at soupnazi.org
Wed Apr 2 12:59:44 PST 2003

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 at 12:45:46 -0600, Curt Grimley wrote:
> Hi,  I'm new to FreeBSD and enjoying it... I used an off-the-shelf 4.6
> release to get started, and then decided to cvsup and get up to
> stable.
>
> I only have dialup service, so seeing a copy of the "CVS Repository"
> on disk #2, I followed the instructions there to populate the cvs
> source directories... there were tar files that dropped in a lot of
> ",v" files. (No actual source apparently.)
>
> cvsup ran fine and source was brought in, but then I had multiple
> troubles with the build in that these ",v" files got in the way again
> and again.
>
> I found a post somewhere of someone saying "why are there ,v files in
> your source tree?". So after yanking these and starting over,
> everything worked fine.
>
> Q1 - Do I need the ,v files for anything? I presume they're version
> control related, but are they needed at the end-user system for
> cvsup-ing?

No, you don't.  Those are CVS files, CVSup doesn't use them.

> Q2 - What about all these "Attic" directories - are these normally
> present in /src/ or are they unnecessary?

See above.

> Q3 - There's a CVSROOT directory also - is that important?

And again.

> (Or maybe you know of a document that explains these cvs mysteries - I
> can't seem to find one.)

You've installed the CVS repository itself instead of just the sources.
There's an explanation of this in the handbook, I think.

- jim

--
- jim mock.     email: mij at soupnazi.org     web: http://soupnazi.org -
- freebsd project: jim at FreeBSD.org    opendarwin: mij at opendarwin.org -