problem with DNS resolving

Marcel Stangenberger marcel at hayholt.org
Wed Apr 2 08:51:13 PST 2003

> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:17:52PM +0200, Marcel Stangenberger wrote:
> > It shows me the zonefile from my server
>
> so far so good, bind seems to be working. what command did your
> issue so that you think you can't resolve your zone entries
> localy?

the fact that when i try to resolve a name with nslookup or when i try to
ping a dns name other than the ones in my zonefile it fails to resolve
them.

> output of 'ifconfig -a' could be helpfull.

dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 195.18.92.98 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 195.18.92.127
        inet 195.18.92.103 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 195.18.92.103
        ether 04:00:04:00:04:00
        status: active

> i tried quering your nameserver for www.google.com but i didn't
> get any response so it seems your forwarding is not working.

no i noticed that to so i added both servers to the firewall but that
didn't help. Also turning forwarding off didn't help.

> > i just added the lines you suggested but i got the following error :
>
> your can get one with the following command:
>
> 'dig @e.root-servers.net . ns > named.root'

fixed it, thanks :-)

Marcel