problem with DNS resolving

Toni Schmidbauer toni at stderror.at
Tue Apr 1 13:02:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:17:52PM +0200, Marcel Stangenberger wrote:
> It shows me the zonefile from my server

so far so good, bind seems to be working. what command did your
issue so that you think you can't resolve your zone entries
localy?

output of 'ifconfig -a' could be helpfull.

you could also try running tcpump(1) while trying to resolve
names. try sniffing on all interfaces, so you can tell where your
name service queries are going to.

i tried quering your nameserver for www.google.com but i didn't
get any response so it seems your forwarding is not working.

> i just added the lines you suggested but i got the following error :
>
> Apr  1 22:14:20 moredhel named[673]: reloading nameserver
> Apr  1 22:14:20 moredhel named[673]: /etc/namedb/named.conf:46: unknown
> ACL 'trusted'

bind is very touchy regarding the order of options. first you
have to define the acl and afterwards you can use it in your
options stanza, so:

acl trusted {   127.0.0.1;
                 195.18.92.98;
                 195.18.103.140;
                 195.18.92.103;
                 195.18.109.250;
};

options {
         directory "/etc/namedb";

         forward first;
         forwarders {
                 195.18.114.5;
                 195.18.115.5;
                 };

         allow-transfer { trusted; };
};

is the correct order.

> Apr  1 22:14:20 moredhel named[673]: db_load could not open:
> named.root: no such file or directory

your named.root file is also missing

your can get one with the following command:

'dig @e.root-servers.net . ns > named.root'

toni
Behandle die Menschen, als wären sie, was sie sein | toni at stderror.at
sollten, und du wirst ihnen helfen, zu werden, was | Toni Schmidbauer
sie sein können.  - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe     |