deprecation of drm-legacy-kmod

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 28 16:37:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-25 00:32, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 2020-08-24 18:21, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> [ cross posted across several mailing lists, please respect reply-to ]
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> It is time to deprecate drm-legacy-kmod [...] it is time for it to go.
>>
>> The driver will remain for a transition period.  For FreeBSD 13-CURRENT,
>> this will be fairly short, as there are changes to FreeBSD base that
>> breaks the drivers.  For FreeBSD 12, the driver will remain a bit
>> longer, to ease in transition.  On FreeBSD 12, there is also the option
>> of using the graphics drivers in base, although those are supported on a
>> best-effort basis only. [...]
> My secret decoder ring is telling me the implicit message here
> (along with a recent Qt5 "upgrade") is that the FreeBSD home page
> explicit statement that the 11.3 and 11.4 releases of FreeBSD are
> in production status is a bit of a lie.  I know I'm going to have
> to upgrade to 12 sooner or later, but I just don't have a warm,
> fuzzy feeling about that right now.
>
> Forgive me for venting ...                            -- George

The legacy drm drivers are available in base in 11 if you need them, in
fact, the drm-legacy-kmod port was never available on FreeBSD 11.  You
can also use drm-kmod on FreeBSD 11.

 From a desktop standpoint, yes, FreeBSD 11 is getting old, and is
getting harder and harder to maintain, and there will be no driver
updates to support newer GPUs on 11 for instance.  Currently there are
no plans to remove any support for running FreeBSD 11 on the desktop.
Regards
--
Niclas Zeising