What are my options regarding deprecated PyPy port?

figosdev figosdev at protonmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:49:59 UTC 2020

Hi, I'm new to FreeBSD-- I installed it for the first time this week. Honestly, so far it has exceeded expectations.

I installed X11, but the first thing I installed was PyPy2.

Unlike CPython2, which is EOL'd, PyPy2 does not to the best of my knowledge depend on CPython. When I installed it with pkg, it said the port was deprecated and will be removed from ports soon-- but it also said it was based on Python 2.7 (which is EOLd).

I think there is a misunderstanding there. PyPy states the intention to continue to maintain that version.

Removing this port is unnecessary. Aware of the politics around this (which go way over FreeBSD anyway) I doubt I will convince someone to save this port, sadly.

I've used both Python 2.x and 3.x for years now. If this problem can't be fixed, can I at least be put in touch with the current port maintainer so that I can learn how to maintain this as a 3rd party package for my own use?

I'm certain I'm not up to becoming an official port maintainer at this stage, but I'd like to be able to at least compile and run PyPy2 on freebsd without redoing the ports work that was already done on this.