deprecation of drm-legacy-kmod

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Mon Aug 24 22:32:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-24 18:21, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> [ cross posted across several mailing lists, please respect reply-to ]
>
> Hi!
>
> It is time to deprecate drm-legacy-kmod [...] it is time for it to go.
>
> The driver will remain for a transition period.  For FreeBSD 13-CURRENT,
> this will be fairly short, as there are changes to FreeBSD base that
> breaks the drivers.  For FreeBSD 12, the driver will remain a bit
> longer, to ease in transition.  On FreeBSD 12, there is also the option
> of using the graphics drivers in base, although those are supported on a
> best-effort basis only. [...]
My secret decoder ring is telling me the implicit message here
(along with a recent Qt5 "upgrade") is that the FreeBSD home page
explicit statement that the 11.3 and 11.4 releases of FreeBSD are
in production status is a bit of a lie.  I know I'm going to have
to upgrade to 12 sooner or later, but I just don't have a warm,
fuzzy feeling about that right now.

Forgive me for venting ...                            -- George