search.cpan.org is going away (replaced by MetaCPAN)

Greg Kennedy kennedy.greg at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:53:57 UTC 2018

Found this news item today relating to Perl:
https://log.perl.org/2018/05/goodbye-search-dot-cpan-dot-org.html

In short, search.cpan.org is being retired on June 25, with the
replacement MetaCPAN website to take its place.  At that time they
will transparently redirect all URL requests to comparable MetaCPAN
pages.

FreeBSD porting style usually requires that the URL for Perl modules
(in pkg-descr) be set to something like...

#####
WWW: http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
#####

While these links will (theoretically) continue working, we should
think about a mass find-replace in all "*/p5-*/pkg-descr" URL fields
to point to new MetaCPAN URLs.  Also, the Porter's Handbook / portlint
/ etc would need to be updated to recommend using MetaCPAN URLs
instead of the existing search.cpan.org links.

I didn't see any other discussions on this in the past couple months
of the mailinglist archive so I thought I'd raise the issue here :)

-Greg