WireGuard for FreeBSD

Chris H portmaster at BSDforge.com
Thu May 24 19:03:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018 19:39:22 +0200 "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> said

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Chris H <portmaster at bsdforge.com> wrote:
> > I should have no trouble introducing Wireguard to the ports system today.
>
> I'm not a native fluent speaker of FreeBSDese, but my understanding is:
> a) Bernhard committed the two new packages to ports today.
> b) If you update ports with portsnap, you can build them locally.
> c) If you run `pkg install wireguard`, it fails because the build
> servers haven't gotten to them and won't for several days.
>
> Does your statement about "introducing WireGuard to the ports system"
> mean that you intend to rectify (c) immediately, so we don't have to
> wait several days for the build snapshot scripts to tick in cron? Or
> is it mostly just related to not realizing (a)?
Sigh...
It was my understanding that when I stepped up to adopt WireGuard,
and your ack to that. That *I* would be adding the port. I wasn't able
to produce the port that same, or next day, as I am already Maintainer
for nearly 150 ports. I have no trouble with that list, except that
clang/llvm v5, and shortly after v6 became the default versions in $BASE.
Which introduced a few pr(1)'s I needed to deal with.
Now all the time I have spent researching, and staging to build the port
have been laid to waste. Apparently you rescinded, and gave it to Bernhard.
This project doesn't feel like a good match to me.
No hard feelings, Bernhard. Have fun with the port.

All the best.

--Chris