www/joomla3 port installs from GitHub, why?

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) freebsd at gushi.org
Sun May 20 23:49:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, 20 May 2018, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

> On 05/20/18 21:15, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
>> 21.05.2018 2:02, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:

> OK, I'll try to explain a bit more.
>
> Firstly, this port is PHP code and needs no compilation, so they are
> both source files. NO_BUILD=       yes
>
> www/wordpress is a similar port, correctly implemented in the ports
> tree, if you install it from ports you will have identical result to
> downloading from wordpress.org and extract it manually.
>
> The difference as stated above, is that the FreeBSD port includes the
> files for *development* of Joomla, the official download has all the
> files necessay to build a website based on Joomla.
>
> It may be that there are people using FreeBSD to develop Joomla, then of
> course this port are for them, although a more proper naming would be
> joomla3-devel or somesuch.

joomla-devel would kind of imply that you're installing the "devel"
version of it, not that it includes the devel LIBS.  This seems to be a
standard wording for ports (see locate /usr/ports/ | grep \\\-devel | grep
pkg-descr | xargs cat )

What makes more sense to me is that the Dev files would be part of a
non-default option -- whether that's included with the normal .tar.gz or
requires the github copy, I can't say.

I don't know if there's a *canonical* naming that universally means this
is what '-devel' means.

-Dan