www/joomla3 port installs from GitHub, why?

Per olof Ljungmark peo at nethead.se
Sun May 20 19:39:23 UTC 2018

On 05/20/18 21:15, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> 21.05.2018 2:02, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>
>>> I may look into changing it, but if you generate a patch, I'll look at it.
>>
>> Easiest way to understand what I mean is to compare the official download at
>> https://downloads.joomla.org/cms/joomla3/3-8-7/Joomla_3-8-7-Stable-Full_Package.zip?format=zip
>> (42MB unzipped)
>>
>> with the distfile from ports
>> joomla-joomla-cms-3.8.7_GH0.tar.gz (71MB unpacked)
>>
>> I never worked with the ports system so patching it for me would be too
>> much. However, if you do not have the time I may know someone here that
>> could do it.
>>
>> Again, I think the port in its current state is designed for people who
>> develop Joomla, not using it as a CMS like me.
>
> One should not compare official end-user package with source downloads
> because the port is supposed to build software from source and not install pre-built packages.
>
> However, you can legitimately compare official end-user packages with our package
> produced by the port, if you wish.

OK, I'll try to explain a bit more.

Firstly, this port is PHP code and needs no compilation, so they are
both source files. NO_BUILD=       yes

www/wordpress is a similar port, correctly implemented in the ports
tree, if you install it from ports you will have identical result to
downloading from wordpress.org and extract it manually.

The difference as stated above, is that the FreeBSD port includes the
files for *development* of Joomla, the official download has all the
files necessay to build a website based on Joomla.

It may be that there are people using FreeBSD to develop Joomla, then of
course this port are for them, although a more proper naming would be
joomla3-devel or somesuch.

It may also be that all the extra cruft (almost 30MB) the port installs
is a security problem that users are unaware of.

If Larry just inherited the port it may be a good idea to ask the former
maintainer about the design.

Cheers,

//per