mousepad memory leak

Erich Dollansky freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com
Sun Jan 21 03:05:54 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:46:41 +0100
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net> wrote:

> On 01/19/2018 08:41, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I open more than nine or ten mousepads in parallel, I can still
> > use one or two of the open windows but the other mousepad windows
> > start to allocate memory until it is exhausted.
>
> It's not easy to diagnose such a problem for people not knowing the
> details of mousepad sources and the libraries it uses.

I know, it looks so easy but it needs a very good knowledge of what is
going on inside.

> The people who are most able to help you are the XFCE guys (mousepad
> being part of the xfce desktop). Is this issue FreeBSD specific? If
> not you should definitely report this to the upstream developers.

We are a FreeBSD-only shop.

> I'll make a pair of tests in virtual machines to see what happens.
>
> Can you confirm simple steps to reproduce as follows:
>
> - Open 2 mousepad windows and open documents in them

No, you have to open only one document in one windows. On a machine
with only 4GB or RAM, it happens around 10 windows with 10 documents.
The documents are small. Not more than 4KB, plain text, no

> - do some work in one or both

Do nothing but continue to open new windows and then open a single
document in them. I change also workspace between.

> - wait, the leak happens in idle windows

It just happens when the next window is opened. The text never appears
and the text in most other windows disappears. The windows with text
still visible in them are fully usable. I did not notice any limitations
in them.

When I tried the same thing on a machine with 8GB RAM, nothing
happened. It might will happen too when much more windows are opened.

Most important, on the machine with only 4GB, I can reproduce it 100%.

Erich