using security/openssl in a port

Chris H portmaster at BSDforge.com
Fri Jan 5 04:46:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 17:16:30 +1300 "Matthew Luckie" <mjl at luckie.org.nz> said

> On 1/5/18 5:09 PM, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > On 05.01.2018 09:44, Matthew Luckie wrote:
> >
> >> My main worry is that I could not find a single port that apparently
> >> depends on security/openssl.  I'm worried that its more complicated than
> >> simply declaring a dependency on security/openssl on particular freebsd
> >> versions because other ports that use openssl might link against it
> >> without registering a dependency.  Is my worry misplaced?
> >
> > Why don't you read the Porter's Handbook? It has answers to all your
> > questions:
> >

> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/uses-ssl.html
>
> I already said that I considered USES = ssl and that it didn't seem to
> address my concerns.  Can you please point me at a port that depends on
> OpenSSL from ports using USES = ssl (or whatever this page of the
> porters handbook is trying to tell me to do).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew
May I humbly suggest that you have a look at ports that near guarantee
an *SSL option? Consider most of the web servers, and scripting languages,
such as; php, python, and Perl. In fact I would venture a guess that most
of the ports in the www category will hint to SSL. As well as the lang
category, where the language is prominently used on the (inter)net.

HTH

--Chris