FireFox memory usage

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Sep 15 11:41:59 UTC 2017

Hello.

I'm on 10.3/amd64 with firefox-esr 52.3.0.

Since a few days my 4GiB desktop is crawling due to swap usage and
looking at top, I see FireFox using almost 7GiB of RAM (SIZE column),
2.5 of which are "RES".

I don't think this is normal, since I'm not doing anything fancy (i.e.
running webapps or opening tenth of windows/tabs).

I've been using FF for several years and, while I recognize it's
constantly getting slower, more bloated and more resource hungry, I find
it hard to believe such a sudden rise in memory usage might be normal.

One suspect I have is some kind of memory leak, since closing FF and
reopening the same sites I had opened before will drop the RAM usage to
under 1GiB.

I'm lost at what to look at... I don't even know if it's an upstream or
FreeBSD problem.

I start by asking if anyone else is seeing this and/or if anything in
the way it is ported or in its dependencies could be the cause of this.

  bye & Thanks
	av.