Expulsion of John Marino - reasons and impact?

francesco scaglione francesco.scaglione at sfr.fr
Thu Feb 16 16:11:01 UTC 2017

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:15:31 -0800
Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 2/14/2017 2:58 PM, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> >> I think that commit message combined with
> >> https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html is enough.
> > The commit message basically says that he misbehaved once too often
> > and the CoC defines what "misbehave" might mean. Not over the top
> > transparent/detailed to be honest.
>
> Right, would you want an organization you volunteered for to drag your
> name through the mud for some reason?  I don't think it's our place
> (the project) to say more than we already have publicly.  Please drop
> this before it gets out of hand.  Discussing people
> personally/negatively in a public forum is not appropriate.

I've read hundreds of texts by John Marino in the FreeBSD mailing lists
and on the forum, always learning a great amount of things, and always
enjoying his tone (which I've never ever felt to be too aggressive to
anyone) for its being so enthusiastic.

Once I even had a question that I considered too stupid to deserve the
attention of the mailing lists and I decided to ask him directly: he
answered to my mail in half an hour, with the patience that a newbie
very seldom gets.

Now, something very serious must have happened - I'm not pretending to
know - but if what you mean by "already have [said] publicly" is this:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=433827

I don't think that that is enough, really, to dissipate the very strong
impression that many of us are feeling that the project has just shoot
itself in the foot in an incredibly stupid way.

Thank you for your attention,
--
Francesco