Expulsion of John Marino - reasons and impact?

Stari Karp starikarp at yandex.com
Thu Feb 16 23:21:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 17:01 +0100, francesco scaglione wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:15:31 -0800
> Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > > The commit message basically says that he misbehaved once too
> > > often
> > > and the CoC defines what "misbehave" might mean. Not over the top
> > > transparent/detailed to be honest.
> > Right, would you want an organization you volunteered for to drag
> > your
> > name through the mud for some reason?  I don't think it's our place
> > (the project) to say more than we already have publicly.  Please
> > drop
> > this before it gets out of hand.  Discussing people
> > personally/negatively in a public forum is not appropriate.
> I've read hundreds of texts by John Marino in the FreeBSD mailing
> lists
> and on the forum, always learning a great amount of things, and
> always
> enjoying his tone (which I've never ever felt to be too aggressive to
> anyone) for its being so enthusiastic.
>
> Once I even had a question that I considered too stupid to deserve
> the
> attention of the mailing lists and I decided to ask him directly: he
> answered to my mail in half an hour, with the patience that a newbie
> very seldom gets.
>
> Now, something very serious must have happened - I'm not pretending
> know - but if what you mean by "already have [said] publicly" is
> this:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=433827
>
> I don't think that that is enough, really, to dissipate the very
> strong
> impression that many of us are feeling that the project has just
> shoot
> itself in the foot in an incredibly stupid way.
>
> Thank you for your attention,

I am also very thankful to John Marino. I don't know him but after long
time portmaster user I try to use a Synth when it came to FreeBSD and I
had a problems but in my long experience from OS/2 to Freebsd I never
had so good help as I had from J. Marino and I love his Synth too.
 Thank you, Mr. Marino.