Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Feb 11 18:04:07 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 09:51:41AM +0100, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Tell me....  What is the reason for me upgrading those few production
> servers from 9.3 to 10/11?... bearing in mind the following:

There isn't any ... oh, except for no new security updates.

The flip side is the more important question.  Why should we ask
developers to support a version of the OS that doesn't have:

>From https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.0R/relnotes.html:

 * bhyve, drm2, rasbpi, nvme, several overhauled drivers and carp.

>From https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html:

 * mpr, mrsas, pms, autofs, other overhauled drivers.

I recommend folks reading this thread should examine those links.

As for things removed from base, my understanding is:

 * we have limited people to fix/regression test all the security problems
   in base/ software.  A few notorious candidates have been factored out
   into ports.

 * there is an overall drive to move to an entirely GPL-free base system.
   Perhaps this is not important to you but there are others to whome this
   is important.

I have some other thoughts on this but I am being called away to deal with
some other crisis ATM.

mcl