Alternatives to rsync

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Fri Oct 14 05:56:30 UTC 2016

On 14/10/2016 08:56, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 18:13:39 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
>> On 13/10/2016 15:09, reko.turja--- via freebsd-ports wrote:
>>> One of my users is needing rsync like functionality to transfer changed
>>> contents of some directories between couple of machines. As rsync 3
>>> isn't open source, but GPL3 it's out of question in order to keep the
>>> system untainted.
>>>
>>> The software should be relatively lightweight - no fullblown
>>> mirroring/backup is needed. Also hints how to achieve similar ends using
>>> maybe tar/ssh might do.
>>
>> sysutils/cpdup provides similar functionality to rsync and is bsd licensed.
>
> Does anybody have information on how efficient it is in comparison
> with rsync?  Apart from that, I agree with the other comments.  But if
> Reko wants a non-GPL3 package, for whatever reason, what's wrong with
> an older version of rsync?

A new port could be created to build an older version - unless there is
a wider interest in maintaining the older version, the drawback will be
that it will use an old unsupported code base that will need to be
maintained by the one person using it and will likely only get limited
testing within the scope of their use case.

There is a chance that others want to stay away from gplv3 so a fork of
rsync 2.6.9 could be the start of a new rsync alternative project - not
just a port to build an old version.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Saving Data

Shane Ambler