Alternatives to rsync

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 13 22:26:11 UTC 2016

On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 18:13:39 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 13/10/2016 15:09, reko.turja--- via freebsd-ports wrote:
>> One of my users is needing rsync like functionality to transfer changed
>> contents of some directories between couple of machines. As rsync 3
>> isn't open source, but GPL3 it's out of question in order to keep the
>> system untainted.
>>
>> The software should be relatively lightweight - no fullblown
>> mirroring/backup is needed. Also hints how to achieve similar ends using
>> maybe tar/ssh might do.
>
> sysutils/cpdup provides similar functionality to rsync and is bsd licensed.

Does anybody have information on how efficient it is in comparison
with rsync?  Apart from that, I agree with the other comments.  But if
Reko wants a non-GPL3 package, for whatever reason, what's wrong with
an older version of rsync?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.