Alternatives to rsync

Eduardo Morras emorrasg at yahoo.es
Fri Oct 14 05:56:56 UTC 2016

Sorry for commenting on this reply to Greg to answer Shane Ambler, I
joined maillist today.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 09:26:03 +1100
Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 13 October 2016 at 18:13:39 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
> > On 13/10/2016 15:09, reko.turja--- via freebsd-ports wrote:
> >> One of my users is needing rsync like functionality to transfer
> >> changed contents of some directories between couple of machines.
> >> As rsync 3 isn't open source, but GPL3 it's out of question in
> >> order to keep the system untainted.
> >>
> >> The software should be relatively lightweight - no fullblown
> >> mirroring/backup is needed. Also hints how to achieve similar ends
> >> using maybe tar/ssh might do.
> >
> > sysutils/cpdup provides similar functionality to rsync and is bsd
> > licensed.

cpdup in ports comes from old matt dillon pages and is version1.18.
DragonflyBSD has version 1.32 at [1][2] and compiles with low effort on
FreeBSD.

> Does anybody have information on how efficient it is in comparison
> with rsync?  Apart from that, I agree with the other comments.  But if
> Reko wants a non-GPL3 package, for whatever reason, what's wrong with
> an older version of rsync?

For me it has better performance, the BSD licence and promote/use BSD
borned tools, for me it's a plus.

> Greg

[1]
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/tree/d72200edc8a9934f16e185f29e31ef5fe654c93a:/bin/cpdup