poudriere: reduce the number of rebuilt packages?

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 12 00:27:27 UTC 2015

+--On 4 janvier 2015 18:24:24 +0100 Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft at gmx.net> wrote:
| On 02.01.2015 12:03, Stefan Ehmann wrote:
|> I've recently switched from portmaster to poudriere/'pkg upgrade' to
|> manage my port updates. Basically it works fine, but incremental builds
|> don't quite work as I expected.
|>
|> poudriere rebuilds all packages if any dependency has changed. If there
|> are only some ports with new versions, possibly hundreds of packages are
|> rebuilt. So far it looks like I'll end up rebuilding packages like
|> libreoffice/KDE/chromium several times a week. The rebuilt packages
|> won't even be installed by 'pkg upgrade' because their version number
|> has not changed.
|
| Here's an actual example from today.
|
| There are new versions for three ports. poudriere will rebuild 70 ports,
| 67 of them will never be installed on the host.

You can't know that.

Say there is a shlib change in one of the updated packages, its version is
bumped, or there is a new dependency, you need to rebuild the 67 ports, and
pkg will detect and reinstall them.

--
Mathieu Arnold